Site Content

Leadership Development

An Office of Campus Life & Leadership

Student Leader of the Month

Kelly ChervinName
Kelly Chervin

Major/Minor
Soc and Com Double Major

What organizations are you a member of and what positions do you hold within those organizations?

I serve as Service Trip Coordinator on the Advisory Board for VSC, Campus Outreach Chair on the Executive Board for Wake N Shake and Special Events Chair on the Executive Board for the Interfaith Council. Additionally I sit on the committee for the Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement Initiative, served as a Wake Alternative Break Leader, volunteer with Campus Kitchen and am a member of the campus ministry Emmaus and the honor societies Lambda Pi Eta and Omicron Delta Kappa. This semester I am also proudly repping the co-rec intramural softball team: “The Price is Wright.”

What book changed your life and why?

Eboo Patel’s book Acts of Faith has had a remarkable impact on my life. Through Eboo’s moving personal story, compelling research and words of wisdom, his book empowered me as a young person to exercise my faith through service and social justice work. This book inspired me to engage in religious pluralism, motivated my zeal for interfaith cooperation and challenged me to take social action not at some later date in the future when I’m older, but in the here and the now.

What is your favorite study spot on campus?

If I’m being honest, the majority of my study time is spent at home…in my bed in the boonies that is Alaris Village, but when I do study on campus I enjoy the 24 hour room in the library. My brain needs the quiet. Hence my initial answer of bed.

If your life in college had a theme song, what would it be?

Hall and Oats: You Make My Dreams Come True…but also probably (obviously) Party in the USA by ma girl Milez.

Describe the ideal Wake Forest day.

The ideal Wake Forest day goes something like this. Brace yourself

1. Enjoy breakfast in CG with my mentors Marianne and Shelley Sizemore where we reflect on current events and service at Wake Forest.
  2. Attend class in Carswell because I’m for sure taking a sociology seminar on education or gender, then a com film class on inequality.
  3. Have lunch on the Mag Room patio as of course it is Spring or early Fall.
  4. Play games from that cart outside Subway, hang, frolic, have engaging conversations with and run around with ma friends on a very sunny upper Quad.
  5. On my way to getting my afternoon chocolate peanut butter pretzel balls at the Sundry Provost Kersh, Ed Wilson, Ed Reynolds, President Hatch and Ken Zick walk past. They all wave enthusiastically and say “Hey Kelly!”
  6. Bang on some drums and make sweet beats in my African Drumming class.
  7. Volunteer on the Campus Kitchen delivery shift to the Children’s Home.
  8. Pop in my headphones and jam while I enjoy a sunset jog (walk) through Reynolda Trails.
  9. Delight in an all you can eat dinner at the Pit. No line at the Mongolian Grill.
  10. Go to the night Football or Basketball game where obviously the Deacs take the win in the final minute.
  11. Race back to roll the Quad and find the entire school screaming “WAKE…FOREST.”
  12. Partake in celebratory pitchers at Shorty’s, followed by more celebratory pitchers at Shorty’s.
  13. Ride the Wake shuttle downtown.
  14. Defy science because I just did more things in one day than humanly possible.

(Indeed, I am totally aware that this response is entirely #toomuch)

What has been the most meaningful part of your student leadership experience at Wake Forest?

While all of my leadership experiences over the last 4 years have taught me invaluable lessons and strongly influenced my sense of self, my experience serving as service trip coordinator stands out as particularly exceptional.

Wake Forest’s service trips have defined the richness of my college experience. It is through these trips that I found my love of service, discovered my passions, made some of my most meaningful friendships and learned life changing lessons I never could have learned inside the classroom. It is incredibly meaningful that as service trip coordinator, I have had the opportunity to help create this rewarding and transformative experience for my fellow Wake Forest students.

Wake’s service trips have given me more than I could have ever expected and really empowered me find my voice and place in this Wake Forest community I call home. It is truly a special privilege being able to provide this opportunity for my peers.

What piece of advice would you like to share with fellow students who are looking to take on a leadership role on campus?

The biggest piece of advice I can give to a student looking to take on a leadership role on campus is to pursue positions in those activities you really enjoy. Do not merely seek to become a leader for the sake of leading, but rather because you are motivated by a passion, interest or joy. Not only will this enable you to enjoy your role, but will also make you a more effective and transformative leader.

What do you see yourself doing in your life after Wake Forest?

In life post the Forest I will be teaching High School English in New Orleans through Teach for America. Though it will be extremely challenging I see myself applying the lessons I learned as a student leader to my time spent in the classroom.